Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Happy National Girls and Women in Sports Day

Most of my daughters played sports during their school years.  We spent many afternoons and mornings at ball fields, school gyms, and at pools watching children swim!  I'm happy we were able to give our children a well-rounded childhood.  The whole family enjoys watching sports too.  it is more difficult to find games featuring women but not impossible.  Daughter, Abbie, likes to watch girls' softball when it's on TV (it might be women's college softball).  And who doesn't enjoy watching the Olympics!  Once upon a time, I used to bowl on a few bowling leagues.  That's a sport, right?  And I have golfed.  Sports shouldn't be about gender; to me, it's about the challenge and competition.  An interesting side note is my high school gym teacher, Chris Weller, went on to be the coach for the Maryland Terrapins Women's Basketball team from 1975 until 1980.  I used to wonder how frustrated she must have been with a bunch of high school girls, most of who were only there because it was required and how great the difference was coaching women who could actually play.

Celebrate women and girls in sports this year, not just today.

4 comments:

  1. Hubby said, "Big shout out to my girls who were/are active in sports. I have fond memories of swim meets, softball, tennis, and even coaching Sparky basketball. Dinner tonight is a throwback to the days of watching the girls play - hot dogs, pizza, nacho cheese chips, and orange slices."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby to family group text: Wanted to watch A League of Their Own but we don't have it. Does How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days count as a sport?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This website is actually a walk-through you discover the knowledge you desired relating to this and didn’t know who to inquire about. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it. KATERYNA ARMENTA

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new surveys are added- checkbox now each time a comment is added I recieve four emails with similar comment. Can there be in whatever way you can remove me from that service? Thanks! AMBITIOUS WE LIFE COACHING Program for Women

    ReplyDelete