Sunday, March 29, 2020

It's National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day

Have you ever had Lemon Chiffon Cake?  I thought chiffon was a fabric, not to be eaten.  Lemon may be my favorite flavor, running just ahead of chocolate.  An older cousin, Linda, and I share a birthday and several years (at least 1 that I have pictures for) we had a combined party.  (And if it was only one, it made quite an impression on me.)  She always got a chocolate cake and I always got a lemon cake.

According to myblueprint.com here's the chiffon cake story:  "Chiffon cakes were invented in Los Angeles in the 1920s by a baker who wanted to create a dessert that was both lighter than a pound cake and moister than a sponge cake.  Chiffon cake was an overnight success, but the recipe was kept secret for 20 years until it was sold to General Mills and released to the public as one of Betty Crocker's signature desserts."  Myblueprint also has a Lemon Chiffon cake recipe.  Chiffon cakes are known for being very light, like angel food cake and it takes a lot of eggs to make one.  Honestly, it's way to complicated for me.  This one won't be on my calendar next year.

Instead today, as March is waning, we will celebrate National Celery Month.  Grandkids Aubrey, Tyler, and MJ had fun with this celebration.  Celery is a versatile healthy choice.  It's mostly water so it takes more calories to eat it than it generates.  It's a must in tuna salad and good with peanut butter, cream cheese, in dips and salads, or just by itself.  It's a very light food.

Speaking of light, today's meditation is Matthew 11:28-30  Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

No comments:

Post a Comment